Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Thought About Prayer

I often feel that prayer is one of those subjects, best left to professors and graduate students to teach about. There have been thousands of books written about prayer, and quite frankly the few I've read have confused me. But, recently prayer has been on my mind, so I want to share a thought I have about it.

When I moved to Waco, I left many of the people that I love in Abilene. Others are in Round Rock, Dallas, and places like California. It was the first time in six years that I'd been away from some of these people. You may be wondering, "So what does that have to do with prayer?" and my answer is, everything. Over the past few weeks I've found prayer to be the ultimate connector. Greater than any conversation I could have with these loved ones, although the conversations we have are great, the time I spend in prayer for them makes me feel closer to them than anything else. I think it has something to do with God being all places, at all times. As I sit in my apartment in Waco thinking about, and praying for my friends and family, I know that the Spirit is interceding for them because of my prayers. I know that God is hearing my prayers and not only looking down on, but sitting with, those I'm praying for as I talk with Him.

Yes, it is hard to wrap our heads around the ways in which God can and does work. At times, I wonder if He is even here with me, let alone everywhere in the universe at once. But, the fact that God is omnipresent makes him the ultimate connector and community builder. When we pray for others we are interceding on their behalf, actively advocating for their interest rather than our own. This selfless act creates a deep connection between us and those we are praying for. It creates a connection that runs deeper than the superficial conversations that we so often engage in face to face. Prayer can connect individuals and build communities that words and interactions between two people could never accomplish. So, as I sit in my apartment in Waco, yes, I miss those that I've had to leave; however, I know that we are as close now as we have ever been.

This is where I make my disclaimer that I'm not a theologian or a bible scholar. I'm just a law student doing a little thinking about prayer. Take it for what it's worth.

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."-Ephesians 6:18

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express"-Romans 8:26

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not be more proud of you Luke.

Relatively Phagans - for friends and family of C.V. and Velma said...

You're right -- prayer connects us like nothing else can! Other comforting ideas about prayer: It's the ultimate long-distance call. God is never to busy to pick up. He always listens, always loves, always cares. I'm as dependent on technology as must as most of us, but it's no match for prayer: Via prayer, God is always at full power-- even when the electricity's off, when the Internet is down, when there's no cell service, and when the car won't start.